Sunday, May 17, 2015

What are we really hungry and thirsty for?

 Scripture: Matthew 5:6


"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,  for they shall be satisfied." 

 Objective:

We have genuine needs that must be met.

Physiologically speaking; We are created to hunger and thirst, otherwise our bodies would perish. 

Emotionally speaking; We are created to desire relationships, to crave companionship and cultivate community otherwise we would become despondent, disillusioned, lonely and unbalanced.

Spiritually speaking; God created a unique emptiness in us that cannot be filled with anything other than Himself. We are incomplete by perfect design and we keenly feel something is missing even when we attempt to fill it with the wrong things.

In all three categories of genuine need, we would serve ourselves much better by identifying what we are longing for. Yes, we all hunger and thirst. We have desires, yearnings and cravings. But for what?

Application:

When our perceived needs go unmet, we search for ways to meet them. It has been said that nature abhors a vacuum. The same is true for Spiritual emptiness. We are aware of a void and often try to fill it with the wrong things.   

Do you ever get cravings? I do. Many of those times I am busy and distracted. I can be focused on a task but become increasingly aware of a yearning. I 'want' something! Before long, I find myself snacking - trying to appease my appetite and yet I'm still not satisfied. When I take the time to analyze those desires, I often realize I have misinterpreted what I was truly longing for. I discover I was not hungry at all but was thirsty. My body needed water but I misread the signal and thought food was what I wanted. Even though I may have enjoyed the food, my thirst was not quenched.

We do the same thing spiritually - we fill our lives with relationships, food, drugs, alcohol, careers and a myriad of other things when what our souls ache for is the Lord.

The Lord is the only suppressant for our most pressing appetite - our soul hungers for Him. "But my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in Glory in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19. All of my needs? YES, All of them!

Prayer:

Lord may we come to a sustaining knowledge that our deepest needs will only be met in a relationship with You. May we be ever aware of the longings we feel, recognizing that we hunger and thirst for You. I pray we strive to remember that You are Jehovah Jireh, the God Who provides. Lord bless us in our hungers and our thirsts and satisfy us with Your righteousness. In the name of Jesus, our provision, we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment