Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Divine Mentor- Because I Said So by Deena Serafin

DM Scriptures: Numbers 19-20; Ps. 28; Mk. 5

Scripture: Numbers 20:12b "...therefore, you shall not bring ths assembly into the land which I have given them."

Observation: This is a vivid and unmistakable picture of the expectation of obedience God has for our lives. By all worldly standards, it just wasn't fair that this one act of partial disobedience would keep Moses from  entering the Promised Land. After all, the Israelites wouldn't even be there if it hadn't been for Moses!  Maybe he just misunderstood God's command to "speak" instead of "strike" the rock like the time before? Maybe his frustration with those complaining people caused him to act without thinking? Who could blame him? Maybe it was his pride that got in the way, and for one minute he thought he was in charge and not God.  Still, it didn't seem fair.

Application: God is holy. When He said "speak" to the rock, that is what He meant. The Rock was a picture of Jesus- He is our rock. The first time, Moses was to strike the rock with a rod (Ex. 17:6); however, the second time he was only to speak.  The fact that Moses did not understand the significance of the two different commands was irrelevant. We  neither deserve, nor should we expect, an explanation from a holy God. We tell our children "because I said so."  The same is true of God-  we need only trust and obey.

Prayer: My Father,  since I believe You desire only what is best for me, I trust You to lead me and to discipline me when I disobey. Thank you for Your mercy, which saves me from what I truly deserve,  and for Your grace, which gives me so much more than I deserve. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment