Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Divine Mentor – A Place of Rest – By Margaret Thomas

Today’s Reading: Numbers 7, Psalms 23, Acts 27 

Psalm 23:1-3a: “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside still waters.  He restores my soul.”

Children. Family. Relationships. Activities. Ministry.  Just a few of the many responsibilities that make up the fabric of my daily life.  Some days, it is a constant battle to stay afloat as I juggle competing priorities. Today was one of those days. It was full of multiple commitments and pressing decisions that seemed to stretch endlessly.  I was worn out and exhausted.  I struggled to push aside the demands of a brutal day so I could spend quality time in God’s Word.  It was difficult.  My mind wouldn’t stop spinning.

I opened my Bible to Psalm 23 and began to read through this beloved passage.  For a moment, I closed my eyes and let the familiar words melt into my soul.  They seemed to come alive as sounds and pictures filled my mind. I could hear the sound of ‘still waters’ through a clear mountain stream rippling gently as it wound its way slowly down into the valley.  In ‘green pastures’ I could see contented cattle, frisky deer and other wildlife as they enjoyed the twilight of a cool evening.  I could smell the freshly cut grass of a summer field, and hear birds singing as they rested in the shade of a leafy oak. There were no cares, no worries; just quiet snapshots of memories past, spent away from the hustle and bustle of life.

As God’s soothing presence began to wash over me, I let go of my worries. My mind calmed.  Only then could I hear His still small voice whispering tenderly, "Stop worrying, Margaret; don’t fret.  I am in control.  Rest in the green pastures of my presence. Let my Spirit lead you beside the still waters of my Word. I can restore your bruised and battered soul.  I will give you a true place of rest."  

His rest.  Exactly what I needed today.  As I soaked in His presence, He soothed every worry, every fear.  My chaotic world came into focus as I gave each problem into His care.

The Lord is the Great Shepherd. He lovingly watches over us.  He desires to bring order to our chaos and peace to life's storms; to lead us to a place of rest.  He longs to heal those places where we have been shattered by tragedy, crushing disappointments, and broken dreams.  But, we must choose to let go and trust in His guidance.  It’s only as we spend time in the green pastures of His presence and walk beside the still waters of His Word, that we will find peace.  He is the only one who can give us a true place of rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment