Sunday, April 14, 2013

Partial Obedience is Disobedience

April 14, 2013
Today's Reading: I Samuel 15-16; I Chronicles 5; Matthew 1
Scripture:
I Sam. 15:15 "...for the people spared the best of the sheep and the oxen to sacrifice to the Lord your God, and the rest we have utterly destroyed."

Observation:
In verse 3 God, through Samuel, tells Saul that he is to "utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them [the Amalekites]".  Saul disobeyed God, pure and simple. He thought he knew better than God, and he even tried to justify his actions. Later, he makes a feeble attempt to repent, but only after Samuel tells him that God is replacing him as king. Even then, he tries to blame the people for his disobedience. (Note also that Saul speaks not of my God but of the Lord, your God).

Application:
My daughter and son-in-law use the phrase "first time, all the way" when teaching obedience to their young children. Partial obedience is disobedience. How do I know what God wants of me? Continual prayer and daily study of His Word will show me every time.

Prayer: Dear Father, Your Holy Spirit lets me know when I have obeyed You and when I have disobeyed. Help me to trust You and follow Your lead in every area of my life  "first time, all the way."

No comments:

Post a Comment