Saturday, June 29, 2013

Divine Mentor- Who is Our God?

Today: Amos 4-6; Psalm 86,87; Titus 1
Scripture: Psalm 87:15  "But You, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness."

Observation: Compassion(mercy), grace, patience, love, and faithfulness---this is our great God. We are called to be godly, which is to be like God. Since we cannot even comprehend how compassionate, gracious, patient, loving, and faithful He truly is, God sent Jesus to show us how the attributes of God manifest themselves in the flesh. This is why we must study His word.

Application: How will I be different today, having read this scripture? Will I be compassionate? Remember how Jesus reacted when Peter denied him. Gracious? He fed 5000+ people (who should have planned ahead and brought their own food!). Patient? His disciples pushed the "annoying" children away, but He welcomed them. Loving? He gave His life for us, regardless of the physical and emotional cost. Faithful? He took God, His Father, at his word and was obedient...in the desert, in the garden, even on the cross. How can I do less?

Prayer: Holy Spirit, I have none of these attributes on my own- even my love for others is self-serving. I lack mercy, grace, and faithfulness. I am selfish but pretend to be otherwise for my own gain. I need You to change my heart, moment by moment. I want to be like Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment