Thursday, October 24, 2013

Divine Mentor: Spirit of Discernment: by Laila Wahba, PhD


A Spirit of Discernment

Acts 16.16b,17  we were met by a slave girl who had a spirit of divination and brought her owners much gain by fortune telling. She followed Paul and us, crying out, “These men are servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to you the way of salvation.

This slave girl had an evil spirit, a spirit of divination. Yet, what she was saying looked like she was evangelizing or, at least, pointing others to follow and believe Paul and Silas. But, it was not God’s voice, but Satan’s.

Amazing how Paul, with the Holy Spirit in him that gives him discernment, was not flattered by what the girl was saying. He immediately realized that this is not from the Lord but from the devil.
The Bible tells us a scary fact that “ Even the demons believe—and shudder” James 2:19. Head knowledge alone cannot save us, but the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and His work in us.
How do we react when we hear praise? When people sing our laurels? How do we react when we see people speaking like they were Christians? DO we, as the Bible orders us, do we examine the spirits? Or do we just assume that since others are talking the talk, then they must be ok? Or that if they praise us for our Christian ministry then they must be ok?

Lord, today, I am praying for your Holy Spirit. I pray for a Spirit of discernment. Show me, like Paul when to talk (Acts 15.6) and when to keep quiet. If you tell me to hold my tongue, whatever it is, Lord, may I be totally submitted to the calling of Your Spirit.  Oh Holy Spirit, tell me where to go and where not to go (Acts:15.7). May I be sure that You know best.

Help me, Holy Spirit to obey when You tell me to move, like Paul when he immediately went to Macedonia. I want to be totally submitted to You and You alone.



No comments:

Post a Comment