Friday, August 2, 2013

Divine Mentor - Believe - by Laila Wahba


Believe

Scripture reading for today: 
2 Kings 21, 2 Chronicles 33, John 4

Scripture that spoke to me:
John 4:49-50  The official said to him, “Sir, come down before my child dies.” Jesus said to him, “Go; your son will live.” The man believed the word that Jesus spoke to him and went on his way.

Observation:
The official wanted Jesus to answer his petition by coming with him and maybe touching his boy, or whatever he had in his mind. Maybe he had heard of other healings that Jesus had done a certain way, and was expecting Jesus to answer in a way He had done before. But Jesus just said to the man, “Go, your son will live.” And the man immediately believed and went on his way. He could have stopped, and argued, or asked for proof, or been upset that Jesus touched others, why not his son, but he did not. He immediately left when Jesus told him this simple sentence.

Application
How many times do we tell Jesus how to answer our prayers? We ask with a list of options on how His response should be. We love playing God.  God is not a vending machine where I put a coin and a certain thing has to pop from the machine. It does not work this way. I need to believe Jesus when He speaks. He does not need to do the thing the way I expect Him to, or the same way He responded to this person or that person. Jesus responds in a unique way to each situation, a way that brings Him glory. Knowing this, will bring so much peace to my life, for once Jesus speaks, I do not need to fret. He said it; He WILL do it, for God is not a liar. He is the Omnipotent God.

Prayer
Lord, I pray for faith like this official: a faith that would immediately believe and go my way once you speak. I pray for faith that will not ask you to prove what you have promised, or that doubts what you have said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment