Thursday, August 8, 2013

Divine Mentor- My Shepherd's Voice

Today's Reading: Jeremiah 1-2; John 10
Scripture: John 10:3b,4:  "He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. ...he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice."

Observation: Picture a huge sheep pen with many flocks. Sheep wandering around, noisily bleating, only the walls keeping them from wandering off. A shepherd comes in the door and calls his sheep by name (perhaps other shepherds are doing the same). He waits, then turns, and leads (not pushes) them out. Other shepherds are leading sheep in other directions, but his sheep follow him because they recognize his voice and his alone.

Application: I am a sheep living among sheep in a world of loud bleating and many calling voices. The noise is often deafening. Every time I watch TV, listen to the radio, read a book,  have a conversation, or even sit in silence, I can hear them, calling, looking for sheep to follow them. Many know my name. Some are calling me to "good" things- eat healthy, exercise, spend time with family. Others are calling me to waste my time with mindless activity, and far too many are calling me to reject what I know is God's truth. How do I distinguish His voice from all the others?  I must spend time daily in His Word and commune with Him in prayer throughout the day.

Prayer: Jesus, my shepherd, there are so many "voices" calling my name. Many even try to sound like You! I want to hear Your voice and Yours alone. Tune my ears to hear You. Amen.








No comments:

Post a Comment