Sunday, December 22, 2013

What If Love Doesn't Seem Like Love?

Divine Mentor Reading: John 12-14

Scripture: "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments." (John 14:15 NASB)

Observation:  Jesus gave us 2 commandments: Love God and love your neighbor as you love yourself.  In 2 Corinthians 12:15, Paul says " I would gladly spend and be spent for you, though the more I love you the less I am loved." Love is not a feeling- it is an action. It may be as easy as taking a meal or making a phone call; however, it may also be as difficult as confronting a believer who is living in sin.  Another definition of love: "Doing what is best for you regardless of the cost to me." What if the cost to me is (as it was for Paul and Jesus)  rejection, criticism, death?  Well, death in my situation might seem a little strong, but what about the death of a relationship?

Application: What should I do when the most loving thing to do will be interpreted as the most unloving?  What should I do as a believer when a friend needs to hear the truth of God's Word, even though this friend will probably reject it and me?  What if someone believes she is a child of God destined for Heaven, but God says her " lifestyle choice " is contrary to His Word?  The road of love is not always a smooth one.

Prayer: Jesus, I don't like rejection. I don't like conversations that make others ( and me) uncomfortable. I like for the family dinner table to be light and fun. I need your Holy Spirit to guide me and convict me as I interact with family and others during this Christmas week.

No comments:

Post a Comment