Friday, March 29, 2013

Give Me the Foolishness of Gideon!

March 29, 2013
Today's Reading: Judges 6-7; Psalm 52; I Corinthians 14
Scripture: Judges 7:2 " And the Lord said to Gideon, "The people who are with you are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hands, lest Israel claim glory for itself against me, saying, "My own hand has saved me.'''

Observation:
Gideon had 33,000 men ready to go into battle. He watched as God reduced that number to 300. How foolish was that?? Gideon could have said no to God and taken his 33,000 men into battle. Had they been victorious, they would have honored Gideon as their leader and congratulated each other on their great victory! 300 men were not enough to defeat the entire Midianite army. What we tend to forget here is that God didn't need even the 300. He was going to defeat the Midianites.

Application:
 Knowledge, training, and experience are important; however, more than these, God desires my obedience-- even it makes me appear foolish, vulnerable, and weak. He will allow me to take the glory for myself, but the victory is so much sweeter and has far greater impact when I can join with others to say, " Only God could have done this."

Prayer:
O God, I know I can do nothing without You, but You do let me keep trying! I desire to be obedient. Please deliver me from my pride and my selfish desire to appear strong. I give all the glory to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment