Wednesday, March 13, 2013

My PERSONAL relationship with God!! by Amanda Kaye Watts

I have always feared a "surface" level relationship with people. I get exhausted trying maintain conversations with a person that I know I probably won't keep in touch with because of distance, knowing them through a friend, etc.  Have you ever wondered if your relationship with God is like that?? I have been recently.  I am reading through Genesis with Bible Study Fellowship and tonight I was reading about how Jacob was in a tiff with Laben about sheep, possessions, family, and dishonesty.

In Chapter 31 of the book of Genesis something jumped out off the page at me. In the first part of this chapter God is talking to Jacob and telling him to "go back to the land of your fathers and to your relatives, and I will be with you." A few verses down in verse 13 God calls Himself the God of Bethel, "I am the God of Bethle." I've ready over this several times and the Spirit has never made it clear to me who God was calling Himself.  But, if you jump back to Chapter 28 we have seen this God before.  Jacob has just seen the staircase from heaven and angels moving up and down with Jesus Himself standing at the top.  In response to seeing this vision Jacob can only worship.

Genesis 28: 18-22
" So Jacob rose early the next morning, and took a stone that he had put under his head and set it up as a pillar and poured oil on its top.  He called the name of that place BETHEL; however, previously the name of the city had been Luz.  Then Jacob made a vow, saying, 'If God will be with me and will keep me on this journey that I take, and will give me food to eat and garments to wear, and I return to my father's house in safety, then the Lord will be my God. This stone, which I have set up as a pillar, will be God's house, and of all that You give me I will surely give a tenth to You."

God comes to Jacob in Chapter 31 and identifies Himself as the God of Bethel, the same God that Jacob dedicated Himself to, built and altar to, worshiped, and began his personal and intimate relationship with the God of his father Isaac. God was no longer the God that his father and forefathers worshiped, this is the point where Jacob comes face-to-face with God and experiences Him for the first time for himself!!!

That hit me tonight and it was so good I had to share:)

Happy Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. You just built an altar to GOD when you posted your understanding of HIS message to you. Just as Jacob would come back to that sweet memory (his altar) as you will remember and come back to your altar & share it with others in time to come. Isn't GOD wonderful to put those precious gems in our path, but we must be seeking HIS face to find them just as it says in 2 chron. 7:14. HE loves our time we willing spend with HIM. HE is the bestest DADDY in the universe.
    Isn't it marvelous to see it when it jumps off the page to you even though you have read it before YET here it explodes in your soul a whole new revelation. GOD BLESS YOU SWEETIE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb, tears, sweet sweet tears. Thank you for such encouragement:)

    ReplyDelete