Friday, March 1, 2013

Is Jesus Your Secret Friend?

Friday, March 1
Today's Reading: Numbers 28-29; Mark 8
Scripture:
Mark 8:30 "Then He strictly warned them that they should tell no one about Him."

Observation:
My study Bible calls this the "Messianic Secret". Jesus had come for a specific purpose and had 3 short years in which to accomplish it: to choose and disciple 12 men and to give His life as a sacrifice for the sin of anyone who would believe in Him, including me. He performed miraculous healings as people came to Him (because He loved them); however, He could not allow the huge crowds or the hatred of the Pharisees to get in the way of God's perfect plan. He wanted to downplay these miracles.

Application:
The problem today is that so often I act as though this verse were written to me! I go days, weeks, even months telling no one about Jesus---as if it were a secret! Why is it that within minutes of meeting a total stranger I find myself talking about my grandchildren by name, but I never mention the name of Jesus? Why? Without a doubt, the more time I spend with Him daily, reading His words to me, speaking and listening to Him, the more I am compelled to tell others who He is and what He is doing in my life.

Prayer:
Jesus, please forgive me for neglecting to talk about You in every situation. People need to hear Your name. I need to speak Your name. Jesus. Not one day should ever go by that I do not publicly speak Your name. I cannot keep You as my secret Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment