Friday, March 15, 2013

The Pride Battle

Friday, March 15, 2013
Today's Reading: Deuteronomy 28-29; Galatians 6
Scripture: Gal. 6:14 "But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ..."

Observation:
There is no place for pride in the life of a believer. Paul knew this was a stumbling block for the Jews, since they had been immersed in "rules" and "laws" for generations. Everything had been about "doing", and the religious leaders were the worst. As he had emphasized in previous chapters, Paul knew that we must die to our former selves before Christ can truly live in us.

Application:
Pride is my greatest weakness. I battle it constantly (a statement which, in itself, shows  how prideful I am to even think that I can do anything about my own pride!). I am the oldest of 5 and the first grandchild. I grew up believing I was very special. I know the truth of Galatians 6:14 and Ephesians 2:9. It's Philippians 4:13 that trips me up, for I tend to leave off the "through Christ who strengthens me" part, assuming that I can do all things! Just being honest.

Prayer:
Father, I know that it is in my weakness that You are strong. Others won't see Christ in me unless I get out of the way. Forgive me for often forgetting that every ability and gift I have comes from You. I don't want to lead my own life- I want You to lead it. Whatever it takes, Father, I am willing.


2 comments:

  1. Deena, thank you - your journal entry hit home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you dear friend, it does not make it right but it makes me feel better knowing I am not the only one to fight this emotion & attitude that just seems to be right there almost every thought or step I take. It is a roadblock to stepping up & out to witness JESUS in my life, as I think others will think I am just being boastful, prideful to think I know more than they do.
    That is so NOT true but I remember before I was a believer how I thought others were this way and what I thought about them.
    As you said it is prideful to even think I can do anything about my pride myself.
    As Paul said "oh what a wretched man I am". It is comforting to know others struggle with this also. Barb

    ReplyDelete