Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Divine Mentor - From "Nobody" to "Somebody" - By Margaret Thomas

Today's Reading (January 16): Genesis 39-41; Luke 16

Genesis 39:5 - It came about that from the time he (Potiphar) made him overseer in his house and over all that he owned, the Lord blessed the Egyptian’s house on account of Joseph; thus the Lord’s blessing was upon all that he owned, in the house and in the field.

Genesis 39:23 - The chief jailer did not supervise anything under Joseph’s charge because the Lord was with him; and whatever he did, the Lord made to prosper.

Life isn’t fair.  It has a way of throwing you a curveball when you least expect it.  Things may be going splendidly well with your job, family, church, etc., and then suddenly, it all changes.  Your world shifts and you are thrown into a place you never wanted or thought you would be.  Joseph was in such a place.  He had been born a favored son but was betrayed by his brothers and sold into slavery. As a slave, he was now considered a “nobody”. He became a piece of property that was subject to the whims of his master. In spite of this, he served his master (Potiphar) faithfully, only to later be falsely accused of rape and thrown into an Egyptian prison.  In the midst of it all, however, God blessed him.  He blessed Joseph so much that no matter where he was, he was given a place of authority. Both Potiphar and the chief jailer recognized something was different about him and put him in charge of everything in their care. He rose above slaves and prisoners alike to become a leader and administrator. The key to it all: God was with him. 

As I read this story, God reminded me of several difficult trials I have faced - those unexpected curveballs that rocked my world. My life had been going so well but then suddenly, it all changed.  I was unwillingly flung from the mountaintop into the valley.  I went from feeling like a “somebody” to a “nobody”. During those times, it was a constant battle to resist the feelings of depression, hopelessness, and despair that sought to imprison me. Daily it seemed, there was a new worry or additional stress to add to the mix. It felt as if I was in a dark, cold prison and there was no escape in sight. It was also during those times, that God’s Word became the life preserver in my storm-tossed world - the bright light in my darkest night. I learned to speak it, pray it and carry it with me everywhere. And, I learned first-hand that He will never leave me or forsake me.  God walked steadily with me through everything and faithfully reminded me over and over that I was “somebody” to Him.  I was valuable; I mattered; I was not invisible. He saw me and my situation.  

In the midst of it all, He also blessed me. My relationship with several girlfriends went from a surface level to a deeper place. Every financial need we had was met. I grew emotionally and spiritually.  I learned to be more compassionate towards others, to wait on God, and to be real.  I would not be the person I am today if God hadn’t allowed these trials into my life.  Just like with Joseph, God did not leave me alone during those dark times.  When I couldn’t walk, he carried me.  When I couldn’t see, His Word was my light. He enabled me to persevere to the end. The key to it all: God is always with me. And if He is with me, I can rise above EVERY difficult situation that comes my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment