Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The Divine Mentor: God is a God of Light and Love by: Ziahlita Peterson

Happy New Year! I am excited about reading through the Bible in 1 year using the Divine Mentor reading plan. The S.O.A.P. method (Scripture, Objective, Application and Prayer) is a guide to understanding what He says to our hearts.

Today’s Reading (Jan 1, 2014)
Genesis 1-2
Luke 1

My Scripture(s): Genesis 1:16-18 and Genesis 2:17

Scripture: Genesis 1:16-18 (ESV)
“And God made the two great lights – the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night – and the stars.  And God set them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth, to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good.”

Objective:
This says to me that our God is light not darkness.  Even in the night that we call darkness he gave us the moon so that we have light even in the darkness. 

Application:
I will work at remembering that nothing dark is of God.  Everything visually starts with light both great and small.

Prayer:
Lord, thank you for allowing me to see another year and giving me the opportunity to become pleasing in your eyes.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Scripture: Genesis 2:17 (ESV)
“…but the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”

Objective:
By Adam and Eve eating of the tree they forfeited eternal life for themselves and the generations to follow.  This is what God meant by them dying.  This is also the moment that we (human beings) were warned that our actions will have consequences.

Application:
This verse is one of many that remind me how grateful I am and should always be for Jesus Christ our Savior.  Without Jesus Christ we would have nothing but death to look forward to.  Now we know that by doing what is required of us we can choose eternal life.  I choose eternal life and will spend each day working to be pleasing to God. 

Prayer:
Lord, thank you for giving us your Lamb and allowing us the opportunity to receive eternal life.  I will work daily to be pleasing in your eyes.  I thank you for being a forgiving and merciful God for when my days are not pleasing.  Please continue to show me mercy. In Jesus’ name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment