Thursday, January 2, 2014

Divine Mentor- The Shepherds' Story Is My Story

Divine Mentor Reading: Gen. 3-5; Luke 2

Scripture:  "Now when they had seen Him, they made widely known the saying which was told them concerning this Child." (Luke 2:17 )

Observation:  What an incredible experience for the shepherds! I wonder if Luke spoke with any of them personally? He is the only Gospel writer who tells the story of the birth of Jesus. I can just imagine their description of the heavenly host filling the sky with light and song, their walk (probably more running than walking) to the town of Bethlehem, and then their story of finding the baby- their Savior, Christ The Lord. How long did they stay in that little stable? Did they get to hold Jesus? What did they say to Mary?
    What we DO know, thanks to Luke, is that these men began immediately to tell the story of Jesus. They made it widely known  that they had seen the Savior, Christ The Lord!

Application: I grew up hearing the stories of Jesus and later reading them for myself. As a nine year old at summer camp, I learned that I could truly have a relationship with this Jesus , whom I knew about from the stories.  It was then that I asked God to forgive me of the sin that was separating me from Him and to take over my life.  I didn't understand all the theology back then, and there is much I still  don't understand; however, that is My Story.  I have never seen or heard the angelic heavenly host, but I have been with Jesus.

Prayer: Lord God, thank You for coming to me like You did the shepherds- with the story of the birth of Your Son, Jesus, who then became MY Lord and Savior.  Today I want to share my story- Your Story-  with someone who does not know You.

No comments:

Post a Comment