Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Divine Mentor: Satan's fame or God's Fame? by Laila Wahba



Luke 4:2 During forty days, being tempted of the devil. And he did eat nothing in those days: and when they were completed, he hungered.

Though I read these verses many times before, I always though that after Jesus fasted for forty days, the devil tempted him with the three famous temptations we read later, but I realized today that the devil was taunting and tempting him for forty days. Being hungry, tired, living in the wilderness AND tempted by the devil, Jesus must have felt exhausted.
Then, the devil comes with a promise of fame and  recognition,

4.6 And the devil said unto him, To thee will I give all this authority, and the glory of them: for it hath been delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it. If thou therefore wilt worship before me, it shall all be thine.

The amazing thing is that Jesus did not argue with satan whether he can actually deliver what he promised to Jesus, which made me realize that there  is fame and recognition that comes from the devil, from the world.
So many times, we even strive for this kind of recognition by working more, showing off more, tweeting, facebooking, blogging our successes, needing recognition and fame that can only destroy us. Other times we are willing to be given authority through no legal doors, or through accepting glory by worshipping satan and his ways and his sins, by actually giving legal terms to sinful behaviors: wisdom for fraud, sharing for gossip, maturity for compromise with sin.

Then, satan comes with another promise of fame and recognition, this time making it sound so spiritual, even using Biblical passages

4.9 And he led him to Jerusalem, and set him on the pinnacle of the temple, and said unto him, If thou art the Son of God, cast thyself down from hence: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee, to guard thee: and, On their hands they shall bear thee up, Lest haply thou dash thy foot against a stone.

When Jesus refuses to give in to this kind of glory, refuses to be deceived, just a few verses later we read:

4.14 And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and a fame went out concerning him through all the region round about. And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all.

When He refused fame satan’s way, He was given a fame and authority and recognition that far surpasses anything that satan could deliver: Fame and authority God’s way.

He healed sick, cast out demons (which He would not have been ale to do if He had succumbed since a kingdom divided upon itself will fall), and proclaimed His mission:

4: 18-19
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, Because he anointed me to preach good tidings to the poor: He hath sent me to proclaim release to the captives, And recovering of sight to the blind, To set at liberty them that are bruised, To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.

Lord, forgive me for the many instances I coveted the authority, fame and success of the world. The times I looked at sinners and thought that You care about them and give them things that are due to me. Forgive me Lord when I sought recognition from worldly things whether prestige, money, power , fame or even ministry. Forgive me Lord, when I actually felt small seeing others taunting their fame and success in my face. I forgot that I am the daughter of the King, I forgot that you have paid a big price for me. I forgot that fame from you gives far more power and fame than any other things, and this kind of fame and authority is always coupled with  peace of mind and joy. Help me wait for you.
I repent today Lord, forgive me for my limited vision, forgive me for not focusing on YOU and what YOU want to do in my life. I thank you for your plan for my life. Lord, help me hold on to YOU through all my temptations even if I am tired or exhausted, help me live in YOUR presence and wait for YOU. Let me take my recognition not from man, not from the world but from YOU.


Luke 9.25 For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?

No comments:

Post a Comment