Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Do You Believe? -Margaret Thomas



Do You Believe?
By Margaret Thomas

Sometimes I find myself doubting that the Creator of the universe can meet my needs.  God wants me to trust Him, no matter what impossible circumstances I am facing.

January 9th, 2013
Genesis 23, 24; Luke 9

Scripture the spoke to me today: Luke 9:13
But He said to them, “You give them something to eat”. And they said, “We have no more than five loaves and two fish, unless we go and buy food for all these people.”

Observation:
Jesus had tried to withdraw with his disciples to a secluded desert place.  The crowds discovered he was there, however, and they came…by the thousands. The day was very long, but through it all Jesus taught them with compassion and healed everyone who was sick. Jesus knew that the crowds were beginning to get hungry - they had spent the day receiving spiritual food, but now they needed something practical: physical food! His disciples tried to convince Jesus to send them away, but He tells them instead to feed them ….all five thousand people. I can just see their eyes growing wide at His request and their looks of disbelief as they exclaim (Margaret’s paraphrase): “Are you kidding us, Lord?! Feed FIVE THOUSAND people?!  That’s impossible!  We only have five loaves of bread and two little fish! The only way to feed all these people is to go buy food and we don’t have that type of money!” Here we have his twelve closest confidants, men who had walked with Jesus day after day, shared all aspects of His life and seen Him perform miracle after miracle, and they still battle unbelief. In their minds, they were facing an insurmountable obstacle.

Application:
I’ve been a Christian for almost 30 years and have seen God answer more prayers than I can count.  Over and over He has worked in impossible situations.  Yet even after seeing all of this, I find myself facing new problems and I still battle doubt. I look at the new trial and say “Are you kidding me?!  There is NO WAY to overcome this!”  God wants me to stop focusing on the problem and start expecting Him to move.  He wants me to immediately come to Him with an open heart knowing He is in control - He has the answer.  I need to step out in faith believing He will meet my needs, no matter what. 

Prayer:
Lord, I desire to trust you completely in every area of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment