Thursday, January 24, 2013

"Getting Back to Worship" by: Amanda Watts


“Getting Back to Worship”
By:  Amanda Watts

January 24, 2013
Scripture Reading for the Day:  Exodus 9-11, Luke 24

Scripture: Luke 24:52
Scripture: “After worshiping Him, they returned to Jerusalem with great joy.”

Observation: 
After the disciples had seen the resurrected Christ, they worshiped and were filled with joy.

Application:
There is a song that has sort of been on repeat in my car over the last month that has helped me to change my perspective on true worship and coming to my Savior with a pure heart.  The artist name is Jimmy Needham and the song is called “Clear the Stage.” The song speaks to clearing everything off the “stage” of your life so that you can see and hear the Lord clearly without any distractions.  This may include getting rid of friendships, getting off certain social media sites, turning off cell phones or whatever else may be in your life that can be pulling you away from time with the Lord. Hear me when I say that I am single and cannot relate to what it’s like to be married or have children, so I now that there are things that He has blessed you with sweet girl and I’m thankful for those things in your life.  If you’re at a place where you can’t think of anything that may be a big distraction I encourage you to go to the Lord and ASK.  But back to worshiping, there is a part of the song that defines what an idol might be that might hinder your worship…

“Anything I put before my God is an idol….
and anything I want with all my heart is an idol….
and anything I can’t stop thinking of, is an idol…
and anything that I give all my love is an idol…
because I can sing all I want to and still get it wrong. 
Oh, worship is more than a song.”

When I heard this for the first time it rocked me to my core. I had thought, an idol is something tangible or something I can touch and hold but this opened my mind to consider that an idol can be anything that I give more weight than is deserved. 

I wonder what the disciple’s worship looked like in that room after they had been with the risen Lord??? I bet it doesn’t look like anything that we see in church today.  I serve with CP youth on Sunday mornings before going to Debbie’s bible study. One series Josh did was on what it looks like to live a life for Christ.  He had a guest speaker come in and define for the students what worship can look lie when it pleases God.  

He described 7 types of worship seen in scripture.

1.    Towday: Sacrifice of praise: offering sacrifice. Thankfulness and agreement:
2.    Yada: demonstration of submission by the raising of hands: Gods in control: whatever is and is to come - I am Yours
3.    Bara: to bow and be completely overwhelmed by His majesty:
showing honor in submission, adoration and reverence
4.    Shabach: to shout or lift up your voice: a joyful noise, walls of Jericho
5.    Zamar: to play an instrument before the Lord
6.    Halell: to boast in the wonders of the Lord in excitement of dance
7.    Tehilah: shouting, dancing, clapping: spontaneous praise for Gods glory

Prayer:
 Lord, I ask that You would clear the stage, take away all distractions until it’s only You that I see.  I ask for revelation of what I have piled high in my life to dull the sweet sound of your voice.  Speak loud and sweet in this next week and draw me closer to YOU! Let me not be ashamed to worship you in a way that pleases You and makes my soul rejo

No comments:

Post a Comment