Monday, July 8, 2013

Divine Mentor- Goodness, Mercy, Truth

Monday, July 8, 2013
Hosea 13-14; Psalm 100,102; Hebrews 5
Scripture: Psalm 100:5 "For The Lord is good; His mercy is everlasting, and His truth endures to all generations."

Observation: This morning I recall a chorus I sang many years ago: " Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days, all the days of my life... Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days, all the days of my life." As I sit here at 6:30 am at a beach house in OC, NJ, the rest of the family is still asleep ( even the 3 year olds, thankfully) and the sun is coming up over the ocean. I have spent time here almost every summer since before I was born. My adult children love this place and bring their children.  We miss Joe, my precious husband and their daddy, who has been in heaven for 10 years now- he so loved the beach!  Life is good.

Application: My quiet hour in the early morning with God is like this vacation- a time set apart from the rest of the world.  Very soon others will be getting up, and the noise of the day will begin. Today I will focus on this verse- everything good comes from God, and only goodness comes from Him. Nothing can happen today, or any day to come, that will change His truth. If I turn on the tv ( which I hope I won't ) I will be reminded of the chaos in the world around me. I will remember these words: "His truth endures to all generations." What else could possibly matter today?

Prayer: Thank You, my Father and my God, for a week away and for daily quiet time alone with You. Thank you for Your Word and for those faithful men who were used by You to write it. Walk with me today and every day, drawing me closer to You. Thank You for mercy, which I do not deserve, and convict me when I am not merciful in my thoughts and actions. Remind me that there is NO truth but Your truth, no matter what I may see or hear. Surely Your goodness, mercy, and truth will take me through this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment