Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Divine Mentor- We Are All Slaves

Wednesday, July 3, 2013
Isaiah 6-7; II Chronicles 26-27; Philemon
Scripture: Philemon 16: " no longer as a slave but more than a slave- a beloved brother, especially to me but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord."

Observation: I have read this account of Onesimus, the runaway slave who was led to Christ by Paul in Rome, many times; however, I have never thought about the fact that Philemon, whom Paul calls "beloved friend and laborer" (v.1) was probably a believer at the time Onesimus robbed him and ran away. Had he shared the gospel with his slave?

Application: We can get all caught up in the issue of slavery in this passage, but the truth is that we are all slaves. Before coming to Christ, we are slaves to sin- ruled by our own selfish desires. After coming to Christ, we are slaves to Him- He controls every aspect of our lives. Slavery between people is appalling. As believers, we should absolutely grieve over the sin of slavery in our country's past and fight the slavery that exists today; however, earthly life is short and heaven is forever.

Prayer: Dear Jesus, I have no understanding of what it means to be a slave to another person, and I pray for those who have been impacted through generations of slavery and for those who are caught up in slavery even today. I thank you for Christian believers who are ministering in these circumstances. While the chance of my meeting someone today in bondage to another human is very slim, I will meet those who are in bondage to their sin and need the freedom which only You can give. Help me see them through Your eyes and with Your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment