Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Divine Mentor- Soft on Sinner, Hard on Sin

Tuesday, July 2, 2013
Isaiah 4-5; Psalm 115-116; Jude
Scripture: Jude 22-23 " Go easy on those who hesitate in the faith. Go after those who take the wrong way. Be tender with sinners but not soft on sin. The sin itself stinks to high heaven." (MSG)

Observation: I went to The Message translation for these verses to get another take on  what Jude is saying. My study Bible says we need to make a distinction (when witnessing) between those who will come to Christ through our compassion and tenderness and those who will come out of fear, literally "pulled from the fire."

Application: I will meet people today in both situations- those who are struggling with faith who need assurance and tenderness, and those who are struggling with sinful behavior who need strong words and confrontation. Many of us are talking amongst ourselves about recent events such as Paula Deen's dismissal and DOMA. Instead of facebook commenting (with my own opinions), I can use these as examples of exactly what Jude is telling us:  Love all sinners (that's everybody) and treat them with compassion and tenderness, but do not help them rationalize or excuse their sin. The sin stinks to high heaven, and people need to know how much God hates it!

Prayer: Father, I need Your tenderness and compassion as I struggle with life. I also need the strong convicting words of your Holy Spirit when I fall into sinful thoughts and behaviors. Help me build relationships with others so they will see You.

No comments:

Post a Comment