Saturday, July 20, 2013

Divine Mentor- What Is Sin?

Saturday, July 20, 2013
II Chronicles 29-31; James 4
James 4:17 : " Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin."

Observation: We know we have sinned when we do something wrong, break God's laws, hurt someone. Jesus said the first two commandments are to love God and love others as we love ourselves. We keep these commandments more by doing the good than by not doing the bad.

Application: The best definition of sin I have heard is this: Sin is having our needs met by anyone or anything but God. When I see the good I should be doing but don't want to make time to do it, it is always because I am trying to meet my needs in other ways, even "good" ways: family, rest, reading, exercise, financial responsibility. Today I will spend time with God asking what good I can do as He leads me.

Prayer: God, please open my eyes and my heart to the needs around me and show me Your specific plans for using me.

No comments:

Post a Comment